Trying out Maple

12:30:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-


I've always wanted to eat at Maple ever since I kept reading (and hearing) that I should try out their Eggs Benedict. I was supposed to eat here last November but plans went awry a few months before that my plan to eat here was pushed indefinitely.

Menu and bread with butter
Then someone offered to treat me to lunch wherever I wanted one Saturday and I agreed. Fortunately, we were in Shangri-la mall that morning because I was buying a gift for my dad. I immediately said, "Maple!" and that was that.

My friend Chichi (the same one I was with in Camiguin), kept telling me to try out Maple. I was expecting, well, you know, scrumptious food. My sister, on the other hand, told me that they are not good for my cholesterol, so I was expecting scrumptious, oily, good-and-bad-for-me kind of food. Also, that their servings were huge so I only have to order one or two dishes.

We ended up ordering four. Hahaha. Thank you for the treat.

We got the Eggs Benedict, Huevos Rancheros, fish and chips, and 'kids' mac n' cheese. We didn't order any drinks but they have milkshakes that I really wanted to try out. But for the sake of pretending that I care about calories and my waistline, I had to forego ordering it...this time.

Their Eggs Benedict platter looks like a face.
Their serving is huge, alright! For only P315, we got two servings of Eggs Benedict and heavy-on-the-tummy french fries. The eggs' base were croissant. I was pleasantly surprised while slightly alarmed at my cholesterol levels. Since I'm a new convert to Eggs Benedict, I cannot accurately judge it. Is it the best so far? I think the one at 2nd's was better, but for the price at Maple's, I'd choose this one. The sauce, however, was very yummy, and I found myself swiping the fries across the leftover sauce on the serving plate.

There was Canadian bacon in here, supposedly, but the serving of it was too small to make any mark on my memory. However, the Eggs Benedict was delicious, so I'm definitely ordering this again.

Huevos Rancheros at P340.
Next is the Huevos Rancheros, which tasted a lot like the chicken salad we used to order at Chili's. There was a side of sunny side-up eggs, which my companion ate on its own instead of eating it with the rancheros. The menu said this is a Mexican breakfast, with nachos. The nachos on the bottom were soggy and I barely tasted it at all. It didn't taste any different from the usual salad. I just had a couple of bites of this since I didn't get into the taste as much.

We also ordered fish and chips. In other restaurants, the fish is usually cream dory, right? I was confused at first bite because the fish used instead was tilapia. I have nothing against tilapia, in fact we eat that at home frequently, but I was surprised because I was expecting dory. Well at least it was truly a fillet. I didn't like the fish so much without the sauce. I only had two pieces of it. I felt like it was overpriced due to the taste, but then tilapia fillet is pretty expensive.

Fish & Chips at P480.
Last is another one of my favorites. When I saw the kiddie menu, I immediately ordered the mac n' cheese. This is another one of my quirks: I have to try out the mac n' cheese every time I go to a restaurant and it's on the menu.

The mac n' cheese was definitely cheesy. I felt like clapping my hands when I saw the star-shaped cheeses on top because I love stars. I used to insist to my college orgmates that my name was Haejastar. Plus, my library at home has clouds painted on the ceilings with glow-in-the-dark stars stuck on them. Not to mention my room which has glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling, cabinets, walls...you catch my drift.

Mac n' Cheese at P250.
The Mac n' Cheese was tasty and not too cloying. In fact, I wanted to eat the whole serving but of course I had to follow *ehem* my sharing is dieting motto. I don't know what in the world that white stuff is on top, or if it added to the flavor, but I enjoyed this dish the most.

I thought Maple was your typical couple date place, but it didn't have that ambiance at all. We went to the branch in Shangri-la (the first was in Forbes, and there's a new one opening in Alabang) and there were families and groups of friends having lunch as well. There's also a kiddie corner on the side stocked with several books and toys.

Maple didn't quite live up to my expectations, but I enjoyed it enough. It wasn't as pricey as I thought it would be, and it's definitely a place where I would someday bring my family for a treat.

If you're looking to try their food, I've taken a photo of their menu as well. If you're dining there with your girlfriend, I'd say prepare around P1000-1500, and if with friends, at least P500-1000/person. Enjoy! :)

  
 






Full Disclosure: We paid for our meals. This blog post expresses my own opinions. All the places we visited and ate at that are featured here were not sponsored. I did not receive compensation for my post.

Maple Restaurant
LG/F Shangri-la Plaza, East Wing,
Shaw Blvd cor. Edsa,
Wack-Wack, Mandaluyong
(02) 477 8027
Twitter
Facebook

Thank you for not leaving spam on my posts. :)